Monday, April 25, 2016

Lunar Revelations- Chapter Four Excerpt


I recently changed the name of my book. I liked how the new title fits with the theme of the novel better. Here's an excerpt from a chapter that I'm currently working on enjoy!

It took almost until sundown to find the river inlet. I actually had to ask for directions. When I stepped out onto the veranda the sunset had begun to paint the sky with strokes of red and bands of gold and dark orange. “Wow!” I breathed. “This is what I’ve been missing in the city.”
I heaved a deep sigh. It was good to see a full sunset again. The crowed buildings of the city often choked the beauty of the sunsets. The only thing that would block the view here were the clouds and a forest that sat on the opposite bank of the river. The leaves of the trees danced in the dying light of the sun. As it began to darken small lights began to flicker among the trees.
The lights moved about in a way that seemed like they were alive. They threw their glows haphazardly across the bark of the trees. Sometimes a light would land on a limb or a branch and seem to pace around. After the sunset, sound soon drifted across the water towards me. It was playful and happy in its tone. It was entrancing. I wanted to find the source of the music.
Screw looking for clues! I’m going to find that music! I raced down the stairs of the veranda and into the inlet. The moment my feet touched the water something strange happened. My head began to spin and my legs turned into jelly. Losing my balance, my body twisted as I fell. My body slapped the surface of the cold water and the force of the hit caused me to pass out.
The next sensation that I remembered was a feeling of warmth, burning almost. I opened my eyes to find myself hovering several feet off of the water. My clothes were soaked but I couldn’t feel the weight. My body itself felt completely weightless. The warmth that I felt flowed over my back. It almost seemed liked I was close to an open fire.
I glanced up and saw a pair of burning blue wings stretched out over my head. I could feel claws holding onto my shirt. Whatever creature had pulled me from the water was now flying me back to the veranda. Above us the stars in the sky glittered like a jewel box. I enjoyed the feeling of flight as I was carried back to the earth.
Placing me on my feet, the winged creature loosed its hold and swooped over to the railing. I followed its movement and when the being came to rest I saw what it was. An azure phoenix rested on the railing. It preened its feathers carefully and plucked a damaged one from its wings. It floated gently away when it was plucked and came to rest lightly on the floor of the veranda.
“Were you trying to drown yourself?” said a voice.
I looked around but saw no one but the phoenix. The magnificent bird was the size of a red tailed hawk. Despite the fact that the bird was not on fire its plumage shimmered in such a manner that it appeared to be on fire. I took a step towards the bird when the voice came again. This time I saw who spoke. It was the bird.
“It’s very rude to not answer a question,” it squawked.
I almost tripped backwards over my own two feet. It could talk! I was in shock. I’d assumed that phoenixes were like normal animals. This one was apparently intelligent enough to speak. I gripped the railing, just staring at the bird with wide eyes.
“You can talk,” I quavered, my body shaking from the adrenaline now pumping through my body.
The phoenix ruffled up its feathers in indignation, “Of course I can talk.” It seemed to deflate a bit as he added, “But only to you.”
“Why?” I inquired, tilting my head slightly.
The phoenix shifted nervously and then replied, “Because I was born from your spirit.”
“Huh?” I blurted, not sure if my ears were working right.
The Phoenix launched into the air and flew over towards me. It circled once and came to rest on my shoulder. I was expecting for its claws to clench down and hurt me but there was no pain. It must not have been gripping my shoulder very hard.
“You heard me right,” it urged. “I was born from your soul.”
I blinked and looked into the sapphire eyes of the creature, “Does that mean you’re my spirit guide or something?”

“Yes,” it nodded. “I am your spirit animal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment