Thursday, July 21, 2016

Lunar Revelation Chapter Six Excerpt



It’s been a while since I posted any of my original writing. Live has just been so crazy. However, I wanted to give you a look at what I’m working on right now. This is still a first draft but it’s starting to take more shape the further I go with it. Please feel free to leave a comment on my work. Any little suggestion helps. Enjoy!




(Taken From Chapter Six)

I curled into a ball on top of the soft quilt and relaxed. It had been a rough day but the soothing silk of the blankets helped to comfort me. After a moment or two happy snuggling, I sat up and looked down at the spell book. The flutter of wings filled the air and Serafin swooped over to the night stand beside my bed.
            He cocked his head to the right in an almost comical manner. A tiny chuckle escaped my lips. He was just so cute that way. Most hawks did when they made that classic expression. However, he didn’t take it so well. He puffed up in indignation at my giggle fit which only made things worse. He looked even cuter with his feathers all ruffled up. He looked like a soft stuffed animal not an intimidating hawk.
            “What is so funny?” he demanded.
            After settling down from laughter that shook my body, I replied, “You just look so cute.”
            “Cute!” he exclaimed, his feathers ruffling more. “I am not cute!”
            I laughed even harder at the sight of how puffy Serafin had become. My stomach was starting to hurt from the pain of laughing so hard. It took a while for my laughter to subside. Laying on my back, I stared up at the canopy that hung over my bed. The sheer fabric sparkled in the candle light.
The translucent cloth almost seemed to twinkle with little stars that had been woven inside of it. Closing my eyes, I let out a sigh. My body now felt more relaxed than before. The laughter had relieved the tension from everything that had happened. Perhaps I laughed a little too hard, I pondered, looking over at Serafin. He still looked very perturbed by my sudden outburst of laughter. Sitting up from the soft blankets, my hand brushed across the soft leather of the spell book.
Wrapping my hand around the binding, I picked up the book and set it down in my lap. I played with the latch a little before looking up at Serafin. He had unruffled his feathers a bit but still looked upset. I stretched out my hand to pat the top of his head.
“I’m sorry,” I apologized. “I didn’t mean to upset you.”
He pushed his head up against my hand and nuzzled it softly, “It is alright. You needed it.”
His feathers were extraordinarily soft. They felt almost like my favorite fuzzy blanket, fluffy and smooth to the touch. The feeling of touching animal was a comforting sensation. The last of my worries left as I continued to stroke Serafin’s head. Pulling my hand back, I glanced back down at the book in my lap. The soft leather that bound the pages of the book reminded me of a simple journal.
My fingers flicked the latch open and pulled the cover open. The scent of paper and leather filled my nostrils again. Inhaling deeply, I grinned and relaxed. That smell always made me happy. It was better than the smell of my mom’s chocolate, butterscotch chip cookies and was twice as addictive. How anyone could just read on a kindle was beyond me.


No comments:

Post a Comment